Monday, September 6, 2010

How To Save A Life

My cat saved my life.
It was the very beginning of November 2009. My sister and I had just had a HUGE fight and I didn't know when (or if ever) I would talk to her again. I wasn't speaking to my parents either. And R* had just left for an extended vacation in Hawaii (long story).The only people I had left were my friends. And let's face it, they're great, but they can't always fill the holes in a person's heart. Needless to say, I was lonely. Very lonely. So I did something I always said I never would: I got a cat.

He was free, found in the pets section of Craigslist. At the time, I was living in a very small studio apartment so they day I brought him home, I was severely regretting it (shhh! don't tell him!) thinking there was NO WAY I could take care of this cat when I could barely hold myself together. Things were bad in my personal life and my health wasn't that great at the time either. But, a week later, I was in love. His name is Harley and he's my baby.

Harley got me through some of THE hardest months of my LIFE. When I was laying sick in bed, thinking I was gonna die....he's the one who got me up....because he needed to be fed, or his box changed, or he just wanted to play. I actually had a reason to get out of bed now when I didn't before. When I'd had a long day or I just wanted to come home and cry because once again, my sister still hadn't called....he was there...curling up on my lap or giving me kisses. No, he's not always a perfect angel....he can be a little devil...when he plays, he'll bite your arm if you let him. But at the end of the day, when everything goes wrong or even when it goes right...he's there. Curling right up against me when I go to sleep.

Yes, eventually things got better. My sister called me and we finally got everything worked out. Now, we're closer than ever. I don't always get along with my parents, but we're working on it for the first time in at least 2 years. R came back from Hawaii, and obviously it didn't work out...but Harley helped me thru that too. My health got better and I'm finally feeling like myself again. Aside from that one moment of panic, I've never looked back. He's the love of my life, the only guy for me....and anybody who's mean to him gets kicked out. You think I'm joking. I'm not.

My cat saved my life, hands down. People laugh at me sometimes. They'll tell me "he's just a cat." Or they'll say, "you're a little too obsessed." But they just don't understand.

*Name abbreviated to protect the guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment